Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Lazy Bones

It seems if I have nothing to do I will do just that, nothing. I'm unemployed and have been laying around the house for the last 4 weeks and the fun has worn off. I think about going to the gym or volunteering or being proactive and looking for a job ( I booked a trip to LA to do just that) but as soon as that sub-zero temperature hits my face I run back upstairs and decide it's not worth leaving the house. I feel like it might be a touch of depression, which makes sense. The prior 3 months had been so action packed and busy that a few weeks of boredom feel like an eternity. It doesn't help when the monies made are draining fast and employment in this industry has no guaranties. I'm optimistic, as with most things, it all works out just when I'm about to go get a "real" (boring) job.

I'm going to steal an idea from my friend Chris Hinton over at http://cphinton.blogspot.com. Every week he gives a progress report as to how he is doing on the goals that he has set. He doesn't do it to "show-off" his amazing follow through, rather than have a format in which he feels held accountable for his decisions throughout the week. It has worked for him. My goals will be different than his but I like this idea he came up with.

Now yes, I could lie and say I do certain things but because of good parenting I have a pretty solid conscience and tell the truth almost all the time...anyway here are my little goals for this winter/spring and hopefully I'll be able to follow through on them (they're not resolutions either).

1. I really want to get into race shape and run some 5k's this spring/summer. My goal is to run at least 4 times a week and lift weights twice a week. I used to be a good runner but injury and laziness have kept me down. A few years back I had run for 4 months straight and then got tendinitis in my big toe and after 8 weeks of rehab I said fuck it. I hope I can start slow and work hard and avoid any real injuries this year.

2. Save some money! When I work I work really hard and then I spend just as hard. I don't mind spending on vacations because that is worth it. It's this going out and partying money that has been draining me too much. I want to at least save 20% of every check this year and put it towards a down payment on a house as I am sick of pissing away so much rent money every year.

3. Volunteer in my community. I have let myself down over the past couple of years and haven't been as involved in community service as I should be. As long as I'm not on a film working I plan on volunteering at least twice a month. If I don't I will donate $50 for every month I fail to hunger task force or other reputable local programs.

So, once a week I will post my accomplishments or my struggles and I don't want any pats on the back, this is just a nice place to hold myself accountable, nothing more.

1 comment:

  1. What up cuz. Happy New Year. Thanks for the shout out. I like your goals (get your mind our of the gutter, Brendan. I said "goals", not "balls"). Pittsburgh misses you. Come back!

    ReplyDelete